Thursday, February 27, 2014

Teaching Is Not For The Faint Of Heart



Teachers at 8am

Teachers at 3pm















"WHAT was I thinking to become a teacher??"

It happens to all of us. You sit in your chair at the end of the day. You look at your room and the chaos that is left from a day of teaching and you think that perhaps a job as a cat wrangler might be a bit easier.
I think this often especially after certain fifth grade classes come through my door.


When things get their worst you get that little boost that you need to keep on truckin.
A couple of years ago I had reached the end of my rope. It was just before Christmas break and the kids were out of control. I decided that I couldn't do it anymore. I started looking for jobs and preparing my resignation letter. I figured that I could use Christmas break to get another job.
A darling little kindergarten child came into my room. She handed me a paper from her teacher. I read it, responded to the question and handed the paper back to her.
She said something that I couldn't understand so I leaned close and asked her again. In the sweetest voice she looked at me and said, "Merry Christmas teacher."
I hugged her and as she left I looked heavenward and said, "OK Lord. I'll stay."
I truly believe He sent that little one to keep me where I am because there is something that I have yet to do.
So the next time you feel like giving up take a step back, grab a soda or some chocolate and evaluate just how important you are in the lives of the kids you teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment