Friday, January 24, 2014

Feeding Your Appetite For Books


Image from: cinderellainrubbershoes/tumbler
I admit it. I am a book hoarder. I can't help it. I love to read.
I have a Nook, a Kindle and an iPad that I use to read as well as a metric ton of books made of paper and ink. If you are like me you spend WAY too much money on books.
I have a few ideas that might help you get your fix without breaking the bank!


If you like books you can hold and feel and smell check out these resources.



Paper Back Swap
My awesome mother in law saw the Paper Back Swap on TV and suggested that we try it to feed our reading addiction. I snagged a couple of paperbacks that I didn't want anymore, opened an account and here I am 400+ credits later still swapping away! It is easy and free.
Here are the basics of how to swap.

Goodwill
My local Goodwill has an amazing stock of books! Paperbacks are usually about .79 with cookbooks or specialty books priced anywhere from $1.99-$3.99. If I am very lucky, sometimes I can catch the 10 for $1.00 sale. When I come across that I stock up!! I get books for myself and books to put on Paper Back Swap. It is a win/win situation!

Garage Sales
Ahhh garage sales. I can't begin to tell you how much I adore garage sales. When I go the first thing I look for is the book section. There is nothing better than hitting a sale where all the paperbacks are .25 and the hardbacks are .50!
I have been known to clean out a garage sale!



If you have an e-reader you can check out some of these resources.





Book Basset
Book Basset's logo is Always on the Hunt for the Best Kindle Deals! Free to sign up and free to use. It is sort of a one stop shop for all things Kindle. The folks who run the site troll Amazon to find you the best book deals. I take them up on the free and under a dollar books. I always assume that if the book is less than stellar I am only out of a dollar.

Amazon dot com
I like to go through the free section of Amazon dot com to find books I might like to read. The authors will give away one of their books in an effort to draw you into their series. I have to admit that I have found some amazing books for free that lead me to make an actual purchase.

BookBub
This site caters to all types of ebooks. It allows you to use all book sellers and platforms. The sign up is free and you get only a few emails suggesting books. I give it a glance when the emails come through. Sometimes I find things sometimes I don't.

The Public Library
I am ashamed to say that I completely forgot the public library! Thanks to P. Run Around for reminding me of this valuable resource!

Go online and find your state and how to get an elibrary card from them.

Borrowing books from the library for Kindle. Info here.
Borrowing books from the library for Nook. Info  here.
Borrowing books from the library for iPad. Info here.

3 comments:

  1. I am surprised that you do not mention "Your Local Library" on this list. With electronic catalogs and inter-library loan, your local library can get almost any book or other media item, even if it's not in the library's own collection. There may be a wait involved, but your local library is a free and bountiful resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! I don't make use of the library like I should. Thanks for the reminder about it. I am going to amend the blog now! Thanks again for the comment! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI, Paperback Swap is no longer free.

    ReplyDelete